One of my favorite things about visiting Austin is going to see the bats. There are millions of bats who live in the Congress Bridge (it's actually the largest bat colony in the world). At dusk, they emerge from the crevices of the bridge and come out to eat thousands and thousands of pounds of bugs every night from mid March to September. It's a sight to see and not at all creepy as some people might think. Steve's parents hadn't seen the bats, even though Steve's dad graduated from University of Texas, so it was fun to take them down there and witness a spectacular show. If you make it to Austin, you have gotta see it. You won't be disappointed. Waiting for the bats to come out and feast.
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Austin is a little batty
Posted by Kindra at 2:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes watching bats emerge from their daytime lairs. I'm hoping to make it out to the Carlsbad Caverns someday to watch the bat exodus there. Looks like you had a great time in Texas. Esther is going to grow up thinking that it's normal to see deer on the front lawn.
Aimee
We have the Planet Earth DVD's (which are amazing) & they have this 'Caves' one that shows bats & the creatures that live off of bat droppings ~ frightening ~ I think I'll skip the show!! ewww! :)
Post a Comment