BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kill your TV?

I always saw these bumper stickers on the back of cars that read those 3 little words, and I actually never thought those people were crazy.....instead I admired them. But I also liked MY shows: Dirty Jobs, Amazing Race, anything on HGTV or FoodNetwork, Top Chef, Burn Notice...I didn't want to "kill my TV".
Well I don't know what it was, probably an urging from the Lord, but I have had this feeling the last couple of months that our family should get rid of our TV. Not the box itself (I did want Esther to be able to watch some shows and Steve and I to rent some movies on the weekend), but our cable. It was just too easy to "turn it on". When I would get up in the morning, I would turn it on to see the weather and the local news and then sometimes it would stay on for hours. Then when the kids were down for a nap, I would turn it on, basically just to have some noise in the house. It was like, what am I afraid of?? Well we kept putting it off and putting it off...but we finally did it. It's been a little over 2 weeks and I don't regret it at all. It seems like I have SO much more time in the day (crazy, huh? lol) and I am learning to enjoy silence...enjoying the sounds of the birds in the morning and the coffee maker dripping and Isabel snoring. Sure it was nice to have on when I was doing dishes or ironing, but I have found that talking to God is even better. Plus when there is constant noise all the time, how can I hear Him if He wants to talk back? :)
We do have Netflix, so we can watch some movies or even TV shows in the evenings and on weekends, but with 2 little kids, after we get them to bed, we barely have enough time to just sit on the couch and catch up on each other's days. I am also liking the fact that my kids will grow up being able to find other ways to entertain themselves. I love the thought of playing games with them as they get older, and making cookies and hearing about their day instead of sitting down in front of that glowing box in the evening. So it seems like this decision is going to stick...sure I miss Top Chef (a new season just started, boohoo) but when I did try to find it online to watch, I decided...nah...I'd rather listen to the sound of Esther tickling Gideon and him giggling.

2 comments:

littlecbsmom said...

You are my HERO!!! I would so love to live like that again...however; doesn't go with a husband who has to have his football:( The only time the TV is on here is if he is home though. I decided to wean myself off a few years ago from watching during the day at all and it was one of the best things I ever did!

I am so glad you are enjoying it and the quiet can be such a beautiful thing. Pastor Don once said in a sermon..."We seek peace, but avoid silence"...loved it so much, I wrote it in my bible!

How about some more of those yummy low fat recipes? I made your mac and cheese these week...so yummy!

The kids look great and I loved all your posts on your trips! You have been busy this summer. Gideon's smile reminds me SO much of Connor's at that age..so sweet!

eric said...

TV is a waste of time.

Just sparing the kids the exposure to all of the relentless advertising makes is worth it.